Friday, August 20, 2021

August 20, 2021 'Blue my Mind'

 I decided on the spur of the moment this spring to make my containers on the porch have a red, white and blue theme. As some of you know, it’s hard to get true blue in flowers, red and white are easy. I put some of the bluer hued petunias in three planters, with red and white begonias and gerbera daisies but for a focal planter on the porch I wanted something different.  I put some blue salvia in the center, added red gerberas, and white alyssum, and then added this little blue charmer, an Evolvulus, cultivar named, ‘Blue my Mind’.

I tried growing Evolvulus years ago and wasn’t thrilled with it. But modern cultivars have made “dwarf morning glories” a much nicer plant. If you like pretty blue flowers, then this little charmer may be for you.  I am quite pleased with it as a container plant, where it’s hard to get true blue flowers.  It also makes a great ground cover in warmer areas.  I can see it mixed with red and white vinca or maybe pink wax begonias.

Evolvulus glomeratus is indeed related to the morning glories, but the leaves and flowers are not similar, except for one factor, the flowers do close up late in the day or if it’s raining, like morning glories. The true-blue flowers are about an inch across, have 5 petals and a white center. The plant does not vine but has a trailing habit.  The leaves are, slightly hairy, small and oval. In full sunshine the leaves have a silvery look, in less light the silver cast is lost.

Evolvulus is a tender perennial, it’s grown as an annual in northern states, but it might be a candidate for wintering indoors.  I intend to try it and see. Plants bloom from June all through summer. It prefers full sun but will still bloom in partial or light shade. It’s drought tolerant but too much dryness will make it stop blooming.

It’s easy to care for, mix in a little fertilizer at planting and give it a fertilizer boost in August. It doesn’t need deadheading but if it gets straggly in late summer it can be cut back and it will quickly regrow. No known insect pests but bees are quite fond of the flowers. It rarely has any disease problems.

Keep this little charmer in mind for your containers next year. It makes an excellent “spiller” or ‘filler” and that pretty blue brings something different to the show.

1 comment:

  1. Woooo I wish I saw Ur blog earlier this year! I wantyo grow these...Beautiful!! Thanks!👋

    ReplyDelete