Monday, April 29, 2013


Now that we have had a few dry and warmer days things are starting to progress at our farm.  The new veggie garden is looking good, with half of the new beds filled with soil.  We took the soil out of the paths and filled the boxes.  That’s working pretty good and the soil is loose, well drained but rich looking.  I hope it grows things as well as it looks.  When we dig out the paths it makes the beds about 8-10 inches deep.
I actually planted romaine lettuce, beets and leaf lettuce (as a blend), in my old refrigerator turned planter.  I also got honeyberries and a goji berry planted outside.  Potatoes are next, but I have to figure a way to keep the cats out of the giant litter boxes we created until we get the fence up.  Hens have been real interested in our work also.  I am still debating what kind of fence to put up and we want to wait until the beds and paths are filled.

I had to pot up all the bulbs that have been arriving in the mail and the perennials that were leafing out but I think this week some of them will be planted outside- as soon as I know where I want to plant them.  Everything needs to proceed in stages as I work on each project.  Our front yard is still very wet and I hate to even walk around there.  I have to clean up and divide, assess, some of my plantings before I add more things so some of my mail order stuff will be potted for a few more weeks.

I did some shopping this past week on the rainy days and got some small junipers, holly, Chamaecyparis and heath plants.  The heath is blooming and at least the early bees have something to eat.  That’s all for replacing the grass in the front yard.  One thing about shopping on rainy days outside in a nursery is that no one else is around and the plants are well watered.  But I was very glad to see a sunny day Saturday so we could get some outside work done.  Sunday started out cloudy but mild and we did get some work done early before the showers hit.   Hopefully Monday will be a great working day.

No comments:

Post a Comment